PSHE (Personal, Social, Economic, Health) education at Brookfield seeks to develop the knowledge, skills and attributes children need to manage many of the opportunities, challenges and responsibilities they will face as they grow up. PSHE is underpinned by the Brookfield values of responsibility, kindness and achievement. In turn, Brookfield’s PSHE teaching and learning aims:
- to build children’s self-esteem, resilience and empathy
- to provide them with the knowledge and skills to develop healthy lifestyles
- to equip them with a sound understanding of risk so that they can make safe and informed decisions
- to prepare them to play active roles as responsible, global citizens
- to support them in developing positive relationships
- to strengthen their ability to collaborate and think critically
- to help them understand, respect and celebrate diversity.
In addition to distinct PSHE lessons, the Brookfield curriculum reinforces cross-curricular links with Science, Cooking and Nutrition (D&T), Geography and RE (Religious Education). Classes also have regular circle times, which provide teachers with the flexibility to deal with issues which might be specific to their class.
Brookfield uses the Camden Scheme of Work, which is updated annually according to safeguarding and mental health policy changes. We also regularly review and update our learning resources to ensure that it addresses changes and developments around the world and reflects the needs of children at Brookfield. Teachers view all resources before they are used to ensure that their content is appropriate, relevant and up-to-date.
In addition to classroom teaching and learning, there are a wide range of activities that promote PSHE throughout Brookfield. These include the free fruit scheme for EYFS and KS1, the Skills for Life mentoring programme, a wide variety of sporting opportunities and after school clubs, and assemblies. Children are also actively encouraged to contribute to school decisions and make suggestions through pupil bodies such as the Eco-Committee, Anti-Bullying Committee and Playground Champions.