Where achievement, kindness and responsibility grow.
Welcome to Brookfield’s Year 6!
|Classes||Elm – taught by Emily|
Oak – taught by Agata
Year 6 is an important final year of primary school where the children’s Brookfield journey empowers them for the next stage in their education. It is a year full of unique and wonderful experiences. We go on lots of exciting trips including the residential school journey to Sayers Croft, a highlight of the school year. During this trip the children grow in confidence and bond as a year group team. After working hard honing their Maths and English skills in preparation for secondary school and sitting SATS exams, in the final term we stage a musical or play to show and celebrate their achievements.
Year 6 set an example to the other children in the school. The children act as ‘playground champions’ in the infant playground on a rota at lunch times which gives them the opportunity to organise games and take on the responsibility of supporting the younger members of the school, thus fostering a warm and caring end to their time at Brookfield. In addition to this, they also ‘buddy’ with a younger class, helping with reading, learning times tables and collaborating on art and design technology projects. This helps engender self-esteem and the older children revel in the realisation of how far they have developed since the start of their learning journey. With the termly themes of Sustainability, Home and Equality, our main topics are Global Citizenship, World War II and London through Time.
Key features and responsibilities of year 6:
- A week-long residential trip
- Preparing for transition to secondary school including fostering greater self-organisation, resilience and readiness for exams with a positive growth mindset
- A theatrical production
- Playground champions & playground equipment (rota, everyone involved)
- Taking visitors around the school
- Summer Term – talk about transition to year 6 with year 5
- A celebration assembly at the end of the year of their Brookfield journey
- Buddies with a younger year group
- Sitting on the big benches in assembly!
Here is our latest curriculum letter:
Visit our Google classroom.