Monday 20th July am Y2 PE and art lessons on the Heath with Louise visiting Poppy class children
Tuesday 21st July last day of the summer term, am Y3 PE and art lessons on the Heath, bubble classes finish at Friday times, 1.50pm for Catkin, Acorn, Conker and Dandelion
Thursday 3rd September: Children in years 1-6 return
From Monday 7th September: Reception children begin on a staggered intake
From Wednesday 9th September: Nursery children begin on a staggered intake
Thursday 10th September – PTA AGM at 6pm on Zoom- see below for details
Photo highlights 2019-2020
Here is the final newsletter of the 2019-20 academic year – what a year it has been! We hope you enjoy the photo highlights on the slideshow above. We wish all our Brookfield families wonderful summer breaks.
This week we hosted two film screenings for our departing year 6 children. The film included special memories of their time at Brookfield, messages from past and present staff and a version of See you again by Charlie Puth written and performed by the children. We want to wish Oak and Elm class every success as they take the next step in their education and invite them to come back and inspire the best in everyone by sharing their achievements with us.
I am really looking forward to reading some great books this Summer and sharing stories with my children. Here are details of the Summer Reading Challenge 2020 https://summerreadingchallenge.org.uk/. The theme this year is ‘Silly Squad’ and celebrates the joy and laughter books can create.
We are delighted to be preparing for the return of all our children and families in September. It has been painful to spend so long apart. The full risk assessment is available in this newsletter and here is a summary of the safety measures that we are putting in place:
- Staggered start and finish times with only one parent attending drop offs and pick ups:
|Infant playground||Junior playground|
|8.45 – 3.15||Y2||Y6|
- Timetables that keep children learning, playing, eating and sharing resources within their year groups
- Year groups will be kept apart at playtimes, in the lunch hall and will not meet in assemblies
- Unwell children to stay at home, anyone with a new, continuous cough or high temperature to be tested for Covid 19 and follow guidance for possible infection
- Children to have their own water bottles bought in from home
- Soft play, furnishings and toys with intricate parts removed
- Only essential visitors to be allowed on the school site
- Parents and carers to contact the school office via phone (020 7272 9627) or email (email@example.com)
- Payments to the school to be made online via www.scopay.com to minimise the health and safety risks of the office handling cash
- Parents and carers to avoid gathering at the school gates and to follow social distancing guidelines
- Rigorous cleaning regimes
- School trips to remain local, on foot, with the Y6 Sayers Croft trip postponed and booked for the Spring term
We are confident that these measures will keep everyone healthy and safe and we will continue to follow Public Health England Camden’s advice. Here is information in a range of languages to inform parents and carers about their children’s return in September:
Councillor Angela Mason, Cabinet Member for Best Start for Children and Families at Camden Council, provides an update on the Council’s work alongside Camden Learning to support schools with their preparations to safely welcome back all pupils at the beginning of the new academic year.
Breakfast and After School Club
We look forward to relaunching our breakfast and after school clubs from 3rd September. These will be organised so that children from Reception to Year 6 play and eat with other children from their year group. Parents and carers who have cleared any arrears from this year can book places for after school club here. This is a letter with more information and you can email Callum at BASC if you have any questions.
Summer Activity Camp at Brookfield
From Wednesday 22nd July – 28th August, Fit for Sport are running an Activity Camp at Brookfield Primary School. They will be offering multi-sports, arts and crafts, outdoor adventures and much more between 8.30am-5.30pm each day.
Prices (childcare vouchers are accepted):
- Book 5 days for £155
- Book 3 days for £109
Please read this letter and parent guide (attached) for more information and to book.
On Monday, Louise will be visiting PE and art lessons to briefly meet Poppy class children. She’s really looking forward to seeing them and answering any questions they may have about September.
Science Activities Over Summer
Hi everyone. The Summer holidays is upon us so I wanted to make you aware of the Science activities you can do with your child at home, online or in your local community:
- Follow me at @STEMhome1 for regular posts on activities you can do.
- Look at https://www.science-sparks.com/ and her YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoy2L2ZIm8bgIFwaQlhkIAw for great experiments and ideas.
- https://www.stem.org.uk/news-and-views/news/engineering-your-way-through-summer-holidays from STEM with excellent engineering tasks to keep your child thinking and tinkering.
- Look at TimeOut for fun outdoor activites that involve nature and Science as part of your daily exercise https://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/londons-hidden-gardens-and-green-spaces (London parks to discover)
- https://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/londons-best-pick-your-own-fruit-and-vegetable-farms (Pick your own farms based in and around London)
- https://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/lavender-fields-in-and-around-london (Lavender farms to explore colour and nature)
I will add more suggestions as the weeks go by, on my Twitter account. Have a wonderful Summer break, wherever you may be.
Looking ahead to next year, I would love to hear from anyone with a Science background about how we could collaborate and infuse even more Science into Brookfield. Contact me on: firstname.lastname@example.org if you are keen to share ideas.
Camden Summer Play Schemes
Play centres in Camden are preparing to welcome children aged 4-12 during the summer holiday. Most providers plan to open from 27th July to 21 August. Places are limited and children with disabilities, those in need and children of key workers are being given priority. Visit http://www.camden.gov.uk/play to find out more.
Eco Cook-up Competition
Calling all young chefs – come up with a creative, eco-friendly recipe in Camden’s Eco Cook-up Competition, run by the Council with Think & Do Camden and Camden Climate Change Alliance. Your winning entry could end up on the school canteen menu. See flyer attached or find more and enter here: www.thinkanddocamden.org.uk/eco-cook-up-competition
Heather Bubble Class
Heather bubble class have been busy learning about Kings, Queens, Castles and Knights, culminating in being medieval fashion designers! Here’s some children hard at work with their suits of armour and monarch regalia!
Star of the week
Heather – Elisa
“For amazing sketches on the heath and great enthusiasm in art class”
Fern – Jonny
“For exceptional effort with all his home learning over the last few months – WELL DONE JONNY!”
Ash – Star of the week in Ash class goes to Zach for his enthusiasm and mature approach towards his work. We have especially enjoyed the fantastic poem he wrote this week.
We will be holding the first ever Zoom PTA Annual General Meeting at 6pm on Thursday 10th of September.
If you want to attend, please email email@example.com and we will send you the Zoom link, an agenda, and a copy of the accounts to be ratified nearer the time. These will also be available on the website at the start of September.
Any items for the agenda, please email (as above), or speak to Lulu or Rahma beforehand.