Our starting point is to have a “listening” conversation with parents/carers before children start school: we know that parents are the first educators of their child – we need their knowledge to plan effectively. We ask whether parents/carers have any concerns about their children – for example, if they have a disability, special need or medical need. This helps us to plan how we will support their child once he/she starts school. If a child has attended a Nursery school or Children’s Centre we use the information they provide to plan the best programme of support.

We continue to assess and monitor all through the child’s time in school so that we can look out for any special educational needs that might arise later on. We take great care to establish whether lack of progress is because a pupil has English as an additional language(EAL), for example by talking to the child (and parents) in her/his home language. We also work with specialist services – for example Educational Psychologists and Speech Therapists  – who  provide expertise in finding out the type and range of the student’s needs, for example, in terms of language and communication needs or slow progress in acquiring reading and number skills.

We follow Camden’s guidance for the identification of SEN/D. We are committed to personalised planning and regular assessment and review to make sure that your child makes progress.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (How we identify, assess and plan support)

Q. If my child has been assessed as having a SEN, what happens next?

A. Class teachers regularly assess the progress of the children in their class and if they have any concerns, they will talk to the SENDCO and discuss what the next steps will be. Sometimes this will mean extra support from the class teacher and/or teaching assistant or through a small group intervention.   Sometimes we will involve a specialist service.

Q. Will my child have a personal plan?

A. All children with SEN/D will have a personal plan: we use a variety of approaches. When we have assessed your child’s needs we will meet with you and agree a plan and short term targets for progress. The targets will focus on the most important areas of need.

Q. What should I do if I think my child has a SEN?

A. You should contact the school and ask to talk to your child’s class teacher. S/he will then talk to the SENDCO about possible next steps.  The SENDCO will always talk to you about your concerns and may begin an assessment of needs.  If there is an agreement that your child has a special educational need the school will work with you to plan a programme of support.